The Guidance Unit
The Guidance office of the JRMSU – Katipunan Campus commits to serve its clientele through effective and efficient delivery of its services towards producing globally competitive graduates.
It envisions to help students in the improvement of life skills so that they may be able to become holistically developed individuals.
The Guidance Unit is one of JRMSU- Katipunan Campus an avenue for the students’ holistic development.
The office assists young people in their stay at JRMSU-Katipunan Campus comfortable and enjoyable despite academic, social, and vocational demands. It helps students adjust well to the pressures around them so that they may live. Its programs are the following:
- Counseling. The Guidance Unit makes self-awareness easy for troubled, carefree, and uninterested students. Students are enlightened of a wide array of choices and resources, however, at the end of the day it is them who shall discern as to how their felt difficulties be eliminated.
- Individual Counseling. This is conducted privately to assist a student identify his difficulties, discover his abilities, and ultimately assist him survive the difficulties through his conscious utilization of known abilities.
- Group Counseling. This counseling is rendered to a group of students who have the same interest, needs, or goals.
- Information. This is to provide students with information that are not usually given during classroom instruction.
Among others are:
- Orientation (General Orientation every June and Orientation for Transfer and Returning Students every November)
- The orientation activities acquaint students with the school’s organizational structure, personnel, academic programs, student services, student opportunities, its general policies, and others.
- Leadership Seminar-Workshop and Teambuilding Training
- The seminar-workshop enables Student Supreme Government (SSG) officials acquire leadership skills as well as knowledge on parliamentary procedures.
- Career Orientation Seminar
- The Career Orientation includes activities and lectures on how to make graduating students equipped for job hunting. It also includes topics deemed necessary upon employment such as work efficiency and effectiveness, and work ethics.
- Freshman Fellowship Program
- The program provides opportunity to peer facilitators to acquire and develop listening and helping skills.
- Peer Facilitators handle a one hour class held during freshmen students’ vacant time. Class topics include self-awareness, time management and coping with stress.
a. Career Guidance
- Career Guidance is fulfilled yearly in public high schools in Zamboanga del Norte. It is especially conducted for graduating high school students as it serves as an assistance for career decision-making and to develop positive attitude towards college education.
On-going research: Graduate Tracer Study of JRMSU – Katipunan Campus
- Career Tree Inventory
- Student Problems Checklist
- Work Values Self Rating Scale
- More than a Diary
- Culture Fair Intelligence Test
- Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (Seventh Edition)
- Referral. The guidance unit refers students to right professionals when their problems need outside professional help.
- Facilitation of students’ application for scholarship. The guidance unit coordinates with off campus scholarship programs and local scholarship programs. The office is also responsible for the computation of grades and the checking of documents to see whether a student is qualified for scholarship or not.
- Issuance of Good Moral Certificate. Upon valid request, good moral certificate is issued to a deserving student or graduate for whatever legal purpose it may benefit him/her.
- Issuance of Admission Slip. An admission slip is issued to a student so that he will be admitted to class despite failure to cope with classroom/subject requirements. Upon the students’ submission of the excuse letter duly signed by the parent or guardian.
- Investigatory Function. The Guidance Unit serves as a member of the Grievance Committee of the campus and also an observer in the Board of Discipline. However, the Guidance Counselor is present during the investigation only to understand the student’s case which shall serve as basis for counseling (Student Handbook, 2012).
Guidelines of the Certification of Good Moral Character
- Only bona fide students / graduate of JRMSU – Katipunan Campus will be certified of having good moral.
- Only students without any record derogatory to his name and to JRMSU – Katipunan Campus will be certified of possessing good moral character.
- Students who are currently enrolled upon request are free of the certification charge.
- Students who are not currently enrolled during the time of request shall pay Php50.00 as certification fee.
- Alumni are exempted from paying the certification fee unless three months after their graduation have already lapsed.
Guidelines of the Issuance of Admission Slip
- Prior to issuance of an admission slip, a concerned student has to submit a “Referral Slip” filled-out and signed by the concerned instructor/professor and an “Excuse Letter” signed by the student’s parent/s or guardian.
- To be stated in the “Excuse Letter” are the following
- complete name, course, and year level of the concerned student
- a detailed description of student’s classroom misbehavior or subject deficiency
- promissory note
- the concerned student must affix his signature over his printed name at the bottom of the excuse letter to authenticate everything written therein.
- The concerned student shall subject himself for counseling for his/her guidance.
Guidelines of the Investigatory Function
- The Guidance Office acts on complaints when they are formally written and submitted to the office. An actual investigation is conducted in a separate session.
- Initial investigation is conducted by the Guidance Counselor upon the endorsement of the Dean of Student Affairs and Services.
- If parties are open to amicable settlement, then the investigation is considered closed and the problem resolved.
- If conflict seems not manageable through amicable settlement then the parties will be brought to a higher level investigation involving the SSG president, SSG adviser, college dean of parties, and the dean of student affairs and services.
- If parties resist opening themselves to reconciliation, they will be subjected to further investigation, this time involving the dean of academic instruction and the campus administrator.
- The guidance office calls students caught displaying extremely lewd behavior even without prior referral by a campus employee so that disciplinary action and counseling will be treated to the concerned students immediately.
- Any investigatory action shall not show any prejudice to the rights of the erring students to due process as stipulated in the JRMSU Code and the Student Handbook.